Our world has gone crazy with fear.
This week, I was thinking about the youth at my church and how this time must be really overwhelming for them. So, I went in search of some scripture verses to share with them. I found these from Amazing Facts and thought they were perfect. I hope they bring you peace.
Ten Bible Verses to Banish Fear
1) “I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4). If you seek His presence and His will, God will give you courage for whatever you face in life.
2) “He said to them, ‘Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?’ Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm” (Matthew 8:26). Jesus has the power to dispel your fears and bring a great calm to your life.
3) “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand’ ” (Isaiah 41:10). God is with you at all times and is a constant source of strength.
A Prayer for Quiet Confidence
And from the Online Book of Common Prayer…
O God of peace, who hast taught us that in returning and
rest we shall be saved, in quietness and confidence shall be
our strength: By the might of thy Spirit lift us, we pray thee,
to thy presence, where we may be still and know that thou
art God; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
One Idea to Help Break the Cycle of Panic
Sometimes, the best thing we can do to still our own raging thoughts is to turn our attention outward. The truth is that although Coronovirus is a serious threat, most of us who contract it will come out on the other side of this just fine.
It is truly dangerous, however, for our more vulnerable neighbors. This week, I am going to do what I can to care for those who need me.
- Today, I will call some of my elderly friends to find out if they are okay and ask how I can help them.
- Tomorrow, I hope to pack fuel bags for kids from food insecure homes who are missing out on important nutrition when school is out.
- The next day, I will drive to Knoxville to check on my daughter who is a senior at The University of Tennessee. This is such a sad and scary time for her.
Will you join me in loving our neighbors? What can you do today to reach out to someone who needs you?
Most of All, Remember What Jesus Said…
The men and women of scripture also faced harrowing times. Read their stories, and how Jesus met their needs, in Arms Open Wide: A Call to Linger in the Savior’s Presence.